Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Life and Times of an itinerant slacker in Sacramento. Thrills, Spills Galore coming soon. Not to mention lots of opinions.

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Geography of Unemployment

Looking at pain has never been this much fun.

Slate Magazine published this great interactive map of employment by county in the U. S. This is very cool. If you click on the green arrow, you'll see changes in the number of jobs by county from 2006 to the present. I like to look at change in the number of jobs rather than unemployment data, since Federal unemployment data understates unemployment by excluding anyone considered long-term unemployed. Intuitively, this makes as much sense as excluding those hospitalized from Flu statistics. Some rather quirky economists believe actual unemployment may be as high as twice the reported rates. No doubt the truth lies somewhere between the Gubmint and the quirkies. In any event, I know what I'm not doing on Monday morning.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I must enjoy shouting into a vacuum, but I think about getting my act together one of these days. My mom says I am very handsome and intelligent.

Blog Archive

Play Super Chick Sisters!