Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Life and Times of an itinerant slacker in Sacramento. Thrills, Spills Galore coming soon. Not to mention lots of opinions.

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Jesus and Jobs - Get it Right

A rare and beautiful sunny winter morning in Sacramento.

I actually made a positive step toward getting back into work. I applied for a math tutoring job on Monster yesterday. I spent a couple of hours researching Sacramento’s very small actuarial world for possible cold calls. I will hold off on any cold or lukewarm contacting until January. No one else will want to hear from anyone before then. I am hopefully looking for part time employment, at least to start.

And now, for today’s sermon.

As I sit in the morning sunshine, I am thinking about how the current political reality, or unreality, informs my daily life. Sometimes I feel like a guard in an asylum, one of the few sane individuals in a delusional environment. America supports a Christian government, so I am told. Christian war, Christian hatred and exclusion of those not exactly like us, Christian concentration of wealth, Christian reductions in aid to the poor.

“Which Christ is this all about anyway?” I asked myself. I did a little research, and I am convinced that this new “Christian” revelation is about an imposter Jesus Christ.

I looked at the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5 – 7)

6 Blessed are those who thirst for justice, for they shall be satisfied. Trials for those held in detention? Can you say Guantonimo? Abu Ghraib?

7. Blessed are the merciful, so they shall obtain mercy. Take it easy on bombing those cities, George.

9. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of the lord. What, it isn’t it war makers and flag wavers who are blessed?

These are among the blessing Jesus enumerates before He said (14), “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.

You don’t have to be a genius to figure out that if we want to be the city on the hill, we must be among those blessed in the beatitudes.

It’s apparent to me that this “Christian” revelation is about an imposter Jesus Christ. A question for the fundamentalists out there: Who would falsely imitate jesus, spreading words of hatred. Do you think it could be the tempter? Leading us to worship our own wordly power? Naaaaahhhhh

I love America, and I know we are capable of being the city on the hill, a light to all nations. I don’t think bombs and artillery help us attain our potential.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I must enjoy shouting into a vacuum, but I think about getting my act together one of these days. My mom says I am very handsome and intelligent.

Blog Archive

Play Super Chick Sisters!