Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Life and Times of an itinerant slacker in Sacramento. Thrills, Spills Galore coming soon. Not to mention lots of opinions.

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Farmers Market

I started my day at the local Sacramento Farmers Market. What a great way to start the weekend. Everything looked so good I had to share some photos. I never knew how good fruit and vegetables could look.

We are just beginning the peach and plum and pluot season. The market vendors have several varieties in their orchards. We'll have great summer fruits through mid-September,when pears take over.


If I was a more flamboyant soul, maybe I'd buy a huge bouquet of fresh flowers every week. Since my cats would eat them and get sick,not gonna happen.

Tomatoes are still coming form the hothouses, which are really just a few furrows covered with plastic sheeting held up with bows of bent re-bar. i am hoping to see real outdoor tomatoes soon.



Apricots are dwindling, but still out there for those who want them. The peaches and nectarines were too good for me to buy past=peak apricots. Apricots are so "last week".


I have never seen more summer squash varieties than these folks offer. I make a giant ratatouille about once every three weeks in the summer. Note there isn't a zucchini in sight!


Amazingly, we still see winter vegetables in the summer. the fresh small carrots are unbelievably tasty, and readers know how I feel about the cabbage.

This is one of my favorite smaller operations at the market. This family has all sorts of Asian specialty vegetables, from Bitter melon to asparagus bean. They also have the best cherry tomatoes and eggplants you can buy anywhere.


That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Bon Appetite!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I must enjoy shouting into a vacuum, but I think about getting my act together one of these days. My mom says I am very handsome and intelligent.

Blog Archive

Play Super Chick Sisters!