Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Life and Times of an itinerant slacker in Sacramento. Thrills, Spills Galore coming soon. Not to mention lots of opinions.

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Just Imagine

Although I lived in Madison,WI for several years, both as a student and as a "functional adult", at this point in my life it's hard to imagine I ever was part of a community where something like this is considered News:

"Some University of Wisconsin-Madison band parents are fuming over the UW Athletic Department's decision to move their seats and increase tickets prices for the 2009-2010 Badger football season.

In a letter to band parents, the UW-Madison Band Department explained that seats for parents will be moved from the north end zone -- directly behind the band -- to the south end zone. In addition, ticket prices increased to $273 per season ticket, which is what the general public pays. That's up from $133 per ticket."

I am not trying to suggest that Madison is cow town in any way.

What I find amazing and attractive is the idea that a big local institution (i. e. Wisconsin Football, inc.) doing whatever it can to extract a little more cash out of its loyal supporters raises cries of outrage. After all, what else is community support for? It is almost as if locals don't accept that College Football, inc. is a profit - maximizing Enterprise, or, even crazier, they think that members of a community play a mutual support game, rather than a winner-takes-all game. No wonder Mr. and Mrs. Flyover think we more coastal residents are all nuts. Don't they understand that neighbors exist to provide us opportunities to exploit for a few bucks? Haven't they noticed that poop rolls downhill? Perhaps they are communists.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I must enjoy shouting into a vacuum, but I think about getting my act together one of these days. My mom says I am very handsome and intelligent.

Blog Archive

Play Super Chick Sisters!