Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Life and Times of an itinerant slacker in Sacramento. Thrills, Spills Galore coming soon. Not to mention lots of opinions.

Search This Blog

Friday, September 05, 2008

The Dude: A Hero for our Times

This year marks the 10th anniversary of The Big Lebowski’s release. Apparently the dude has become a cult figure, with midnight screenings in some local theaters replacing Rocky Horror Picture Show (that counts as a mercy killing in my book). What’s the big deal?

Jeff Bridges did an interview in Rolling Stone, and that subset of the chattering classes is going nuts about The Dude. After enduring season after season of action hero movies (c’mon, how many thousands of movies can be made from the same story arc?), where the toughest – shelled hardass always saves the world, The Dude takes a refreshing and more realistically approach to wearing the hero’s cloak. The dude abides. Iron Man just wraps himself up in a shell and blows everything up.

Back to The Dude. The Dude has the qualities we need to save America. I wish The Dude was running for president. I’m thinking Walter for Veep. Actually he somehow reminds me of Guvpalin. Some quotation’s from The Dude’s platform:

On getting tough on terrorists:

Donny: Are these the Nazis, Walter?
Walter Sobchak: No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.
Walter Sobchak: Fair! WHO'S THE FUCKING NIHILIST HERE! WHAT ARE YOU, A BUNCH OF FUCKING CRYBABIES?

Note - the key that there's nothing to be afraid of.

On foreign policy:

Walter Sobchak: Whereas what we have here? A bunch of fig-eaters wearing towels on their heads, trying to find reverse in a Soviet tank. This is not a worthy adversary.

On the economy & foriegn policy:

The Big Lebowski: Are you employed, sir?
The Dude: Employed?
The Big Lebowski: You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that? On a weekday?
The Dude: Is this a... what day is this?
The Big Lebowski: Well, I do work sir, so if you don't mind...
The Dude: I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man.

The Dude is willing to stand up (Okay, slouch on the couch) for America!

The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals.

The Stranger: I guess that's the way the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself.

That’s my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I must enjoy shouting into a vacuum, but I think about getting my act together one of these days. My mom says I am very handsome and intelligent.

Blog Archive

Play Super Chick Sisters!